Catalytic Converters

Home Forums Public Discussion General Discussion Catalytic Converters

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  1990GTCobra 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

1990GTCobra
    Participant

Hi everyone,

It is getting close to that time to wake up the car – I can’t wait. I am just looking to get started on my to-do list and have a questions:

For my 1990 GT Cobra I was just looking at getting a cat-back exhaust system, which quickly spiralled out of control and has turned into maybe a complete exhaust change and possibly the removal of the smog pump…. my question is in Winnipeg what are the rules for removing the catalytic converters with an after market H pipe and if that is ok, what does Winnipeg think of removing the smog pump?

I like the idea removing all that stuff and having a very basic, free flowing exhaust system, but also don’t want to be getting pulled over and fined for an illegal car.

Thanks,
    Adam

Loki
    Participant

From MPI website https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/Reg-and-Ins/Registration/VSI/Pages/modifications.aspx

Catalytic converter

Must be present on any vehicle manufactured after Jan. 1, 1995.

So if built after this date it will not pass safety if the Cat is missing. There is no mention of removing the Cat in the Highway Traffic Act as far as I could find.

1990GTCobra
    Participant

Interesting. I thought it was 1987 but that was just the date I remembered from a long time ago. I’m sure there is some grey area here like maybe not every car prior to 1995 had them but if it did you are not allowed to remove them or something but that is encouraging. I will look further into this. Thanks.

Loki
    Participant

In the Safety inspection guideline in stated vehicles 1995 and newer must have the CAT to pass safety so by I am thinking you are ok. In the traffic act there was no mention of the CATs, only regarding mufflers

1990GTCobra
    Participant

That would be great. From what I hear going with the non-catted H pipe, headers and a cat back exhaust system should give me the sound I am looking for. There is an after market catted H pipe so I still want to look into what that sounds like compared to the non catted version. If there isn’t much difference maybe it would be best to get that one and keep the whole smog pump system activated. I just like the simplicity of by-passing the smog pump with a shorter belt and disconnecting all the associated connections and having just basically straight pipes to mufflers and thats it.

Come on warm weather, melt that snow, lol.

NOTAGT
    Participant

No cats on my 02. Had an x-pipe made at Extreme Performance. might get some high flow metallic cats (supercharged) if I ever ” get into trouble “😁

1990GTCobra
    Participant

Did you find there was a huge difference in sound (both tone and how loud it is) before and after the X pipe and cat removal? I was reading that some people thought on the fox bodies that once the stock H pipe and cats were removed volume became a problem. Of course what is too loud for one isn’t loud enough for the next so its hard to tell.

I think I am going to start with the Flowmaster cat-back system and shorty headers and leave the stock H pipe/cats alone for now. If I find that isn’t as loud as I was hoping for then I can always disable the smog system and get the after market H pipe with no cats at that point. Now hopefully the guys and LMR.com are right when they said the parts will fit with the stock H pipe.

NOTAGT
    Participant

Backed out of the garage today. No cats, a morana b grind cam. Short tube BBK headers , x pipe and seaman mufflers. This is a V6.Fired up

NOTAGT
    Participant

The muffler type should show Dyno Max. Isn’t auto correct great !

1990GTCobra
    Participant

Cool. I was really wanting to get the car out this weekend but the roads were still soaked in a lot of areas. Probably sometime this weekend if the weather cooperates. It is a daily driver so I am not worried about getting it wet or dirty, but I would like to keep it out of the water until the streets have been cleaned and it has rained a few times to wash away as much salt as possible. I would prefer not giving the car a salt bath, lol.

I think I have made up my mind on a MAC cat-back system for the car instead of the typical Flowmaster. I can order one out of Calgary for around $550-600 after shipping and taxes. Based on some videos and reviews it seems like what I am after. Everyone seems to agree it is the deepest most muscle car like sound for them. If it still isn’t loud enough I always have the option of disabling the smog pumps and removing the cats, and getting some aftermarket headers. Apparently removing the stock H pipe and cats with the off road version will make the biggest difference. One step at a time I suppose.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.